Exploring U-M’s Opportunities Around the World


Emergency Contacts

U-M Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS):

+1 734-763-1131 (Ann Arbor)
+1 313-593-5333 (Dearborn)
+1 810-762-0006 (Flint)

Let the DPSS emergency responder know that you are a U-M traveler abroad. DPSS will transfer you to a U-M emergency responder.

An emergency situation is one that has impacted, or is likely to impact, the health and safety of the traveler. Examples may include: major crime, serious accident, major physical or mental health situation (including family emergency, such as death or hospitalization), being a victim of sexual assault / misconduct, detention or arrest, lost person, kidnapping, civil unrest, or natural disaster.

A non-emergency situation does not immediately impact the health and safety of the traveler, yet may still require assistance. Non-emergencies may include: lost passport, wallet, luggage, etc., visa assistance, canceled or delayed flight, minor illness or injury, etc. For non-emergency situations, travelers should follow the non-emergency protocols of the on-site contact or the sponsoring U-M department, which may include contact via email or calling the contact during business hours. When in doubt, treat health, safety, and security situations as an emergency and follow emergency protocols.

General Emergency Protocols for U-M International Travelers

Upon arrival to the host-site, travelers should learn about the local emergency procedures from the program leader, on-site contact, or host institution. Below are general protocols for addressing an on-site emergency that may supplement on-site emergency protocols. For emergencies, please:

  1. Tend to your immediate safety and/or medical needs
  2. Make appropriate local contacts
  3. Contact the University of Michigan to update your status and to discuss next steps

Please read the following for a more detailed protocol for addressing on-site emergencies:

  1. Tend to Your Immediate Safety and/or Medical Needs

    1. Get somewhere you feel safe, either by going to a safe location or by sheltering in place.
    2. Contact local police in the case of feeling physically threatened or you are a victim of crime.
    3. If you need emergency medical care, go to the nearest medical facility.
      1. When you have time, contact a GeoBlue Travel Abroad Health Insurance Advisor at +1-610-254-8771 to arrange for direct payment (where possible) so you do not have to pay out of pocket. If you do not have time to contact a GeoBlue Advisor, save your receipts for a reimbursement claim.
      2. Under certain circumstances, GeoBlue insurance is able to provide resources for travelers who may need to return to the United States early. Please contact U-M DPSS at +1 734-763-1131 and ask for a U-M emergency responder for international travelers to explore such options since this service needs pre-authorization through GeoBlue.
  2. Make Appropriate Local Contacts

    1. Contact your U-M department administrator, program leader, on-site partner, or on-site contact who can provide emergency support or suggestions.
    2. Reach out to local people you trust to see how they can be of assistance.
    3. Contact the US Embassy or embassy for your country of citizenship in the event you need legal assistance or need to replace your passport.
  3. Contact the University of Michigan

    1. Contact your U-M department contact or the office sponsoring your travel to provide an update and to seek emergency advice / support as necessary.
    2. In the event your U-M departmental contact is unavailable, call the U-M Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS) at +1 734-763-1131 (Ann Arbor), +1 313-593-5333 (Dearborn), or +1 810-762-0006 (Flint). Let the DPSS emergency responder know that you are a U-M student abroad. DPSS will transfer you to a U-M emergency responder for international travelers. The emergency responder can provide you with immediate next steps, put you in touch with your U-M department, contact HTH/GeoBlue on your behalf, and/or put you in touch with other U-M support resources.
    3. Resources for travelers experiencing sexual or gender-based misconduct include: For confidential consultation, advocacy and support you can call the Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center’s 24/7 hotline at (734)936-3333. Or connect during business hours via chat through SAPAC’s website http://sapac.umich.edu/
      • For reporting sexual and gender-based misconduct and other forms of interpersonal violence you can file a report with OIE at https://studentsexualmisconductpolicy.umich.edu/content/report-incident
      • For a comprehensive resource guide please see: Community Matters Resource Guide 
      • For resources outside of the University, RAINN (Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network) has a 24/7 r at: 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)

Before departure, download the complete General Emergency Protocols for U-M International Travelers and program the numbers into your phone.

  • 17

    U-M’s International Institute houses 17 centers and programs focused on world regions and global themes

  • 60+

    More than 60 languages are offered at U-M