Skip to main content
Travel Safety and Wellness
In Case of Emergency
Civil Unrest / Political Instability While Abroad

What To Do: Civil Unrest / Political Instability While Abroad

In the event of an emergency related to extreme civil unrest or political instability, access detailed guidance and contact information in U-M’s General Emergency Protocols for International Travelers.

General Emergency Protocols: 1. Tend to your immediate safety / medical needs as necessary 2. Connect with local contacts as necessary 3. Contact U-M to provide a status update and next steps.

If You Encounter a Protest or Demonstration

  • Stay calm, maintain situational awareness, and keep a low profile.
  • Scan the crowd and continually identify openings and exits.
  • When possible, stay on the outer edges of the crowd to access escape routes if things turn violent.
  • Exit the area as soon as it is safe to do so.

Additional Actions to Take

  • Keep emergency contact information and ID with you.
  • Avoid all large gatherings, protests, demonstrations, or other unsafe areas.
  • Follow directions from local authorities or emergency responders.
  • Monitor information sources for relevant updates, including:
  • Prep a “go bag” or a “stay bag” as your situation dictates.
  • Re-evaluate your travel plans depending on the severity of the situation.
  • If immediate U-M assistance is needed, call DPSS, who can route your call to a Global Engagement team member.
      • Ann Arbor +1 734-763-1131
      • Dearborn +1 313-593-5333
      • Flint +1 810-762-3333
  • U.S. citizens can connect with the U.S. Department of State by calling 1 (888) 407-4747 (U.S. and Canada) or 1 (202) 501-4444 (overseas) or by contacting the nearest U.S. Embassy / Consulate.
  • Non-U.S. citizens should contact the Embassy / Consulate of their country of citizenship for assistance.

Additional Resources

U-M Resources

Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC) resources

U.S. Department of State resources