Welcome! Thank you for considering the University of Michigan for your international experience.
The U-Michigan has a long tradition of welcoming international students and scholars to our campus in Ann Arbor. Our first international students joined the U-M in 1847 and our international enrollment has grown to almost 7,000. Our international students represent over 100 countries and bring valuable cultural and intellectual diversity to our community. U-M is a very large and diverse institution with many opportunities for global student engagement. The information listed below can help you find the campus resource that best matches your interests:
- Degree-seeking students:
- Exchange students:
- If you are already a degree-seeking student at an institution outside the U.S., and you are interested in studying at U-M for a semester or year, please review our exchange programs.
- Visiting students (incoming study abroad):
- If you are seeking an opportunity to study at the University of Michigan as a visiting study abroad student for Fall, Winter, or Spring/Summer terms, please review our College of Literature, Science, and the Arts Visiting Students Program.
- International scholars:
- If you are a scholar who hopes to visit U-M for research, guest teaching, or other forms of collaboration, please review our Visiting Scholars Programs. If you are a faculty or staff member interested in creating a formal agreement between U-M and another institution, please see our international agreements page.
- All international students and scholars:
- Explore the U-M International Center and its broad range of immigration, orientation, and support services for our international community.
U-M’s International Institute houses 17 centers and programs focused on world regions and global themes
More than 60 languages are offered at U-M