Exploring U-M’s Opportunities Around the World


Exchange Programs

Exchange programs help students experience a new culture while advancing their studies. Exchanges are based on formal university partnerships, where students from each institution pay tuition at home and “swap” places for one to two semesters.

The first step in the exchange process is consulting with your home university. In most cases, students must be nominated by their home university exchange office in order to study abroad at U-M. If your university has an agreement with the University of Michigan, your home university will be able to instruct you on how to seek a nomination.

Exchange Programs by School/College

At the University of Michigan, exchange programs are managed within our individual Schools and Colleges (i.e. academic disciplines or faculties). Exchanges must be balanced in both directions, so a nomination from the partner institution is needed to begin the U-M application process. Exchange program details by discipline are listed below:

Once you have been nominated by your home university, U-M exchange advisors can guide you through the application process. Please be sure to contact the U-M School or College that corresponds to your degree program.

If your university does not have a formalized exchange agreement with U-M, some disciplines may still consider your application as a non-degree student for a summer term or a full semester. This is a tuition-paying arrangement between you and the U-M. Please contact the appropriate School or College to inquire about this option.

College of Engineering International Buddy Program

College of Engineering International Buddy Program

  • 60+

    More than 60 languages are offered at U-M

  • No.5

    U-M ranked 5th in the nation in the number of U.S. students studying abroad for the 2019-2020 academic year