These resources guide travelers in researching safety and security conditions at their destinations, developing risk mitigation strategies for personal well-being and safeguarding data and electronic devices.
The University of Michigan safety plan process is designed to help international travelers develop mitigation strategies for health, safety, and security risks. For travel to Travel Warning and Travel Restriction Destinations, safety plan proposals must be submitted for review and approval at least 3 weeks prior to departure.
Instructions for submitting travel safety plans for review:
- Launch an INDIVIDUAL Safety Plan or GROUP Safety Plan in M-Compass.
- An account will be created for you in M-Compass, where you may complete your Safety Plan. Submitted plans will be automatically forwarded to ITOC for review. You do not need to email plans to ITOC.
- Need help? Download M-Compass Help – Submit a Safety Plan for International Travel
The following Example Safety Plan is for reference and can help you gather the information needed to complete the Safety Plan in M-Compass. All Safety Plan proposals for Travel Warning / Restriction destinations must be completed in M-Compass. Please note that Safety Plans for Group Travel have similar questions.
Preparing to stay safe and healthy is key to a successful experience abroad. The U-M Safety Abroad orientation walks you through important travel strategies, including risk assessment, situational awareness, and handling emergency situations. This on-line orientation is open to all members of the U-M community.
Visit safetyabroad.umich.edu to start the orientation.
Technology needs can vary by international destination. Personal information and sensitive university data can be at risk during overseas travel. U-M Information and Technology Services offers the following resources for traveling with technology:
- Mobile device security
- Safe Computing Guidelines for Domestic and International Travelers
- Export Controls
- Protect Sensitive Data
Additional Technology Resources and Policies
- Export Controls and International Travel
- Security of Personally Owned Devices That Access or Maintain Sensitive Institutional Data (SPG 601.33)
- Institutional Data Resource Management Policy (SPG 601.12)
- Information Security Policy (SPG 601.27)
- Information Security Incident Reporting (SPG 601.25)
- Report an IT Security Incident
- OSAC: The Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC) provides country specific crime and safety reports, daily news, and U.S. consulate alerts and warnings. Click here to download the Crime and Safety Report for University Travel Warning or Travel Restriction destinations.
- Smart Traveler Enrollment: Enrollment with STEP will enable U.S. citizens to receive information from the Embassy regarding new or updated State Department Travel Warnings and/or Alerts, as well as security and informational messages. In addition, the Embassy can reach out to travelers in the event of an emergency in country, and facilitate communication with the traveler should their family need to reach them in an emergency. Travelers who are not U.S. citizens should enroll in her or his country’s STEP equivalent.
- Students Abroad – U.S. Department of State: A user-friendly tool that consolidates multiple U.S. Department of State resources to assist travelers in learning about proper visas, Travel Warnings, recent embassy message, important contact information, general safety and security advice, and more.
- Travel Warnings and Alerts: To gain a better, holistic understanding of the travel risks in your intended travel destination, please view more than one government’s travel warning and alert information. A few to explore may include: United States Department of State, Australian Government Smart Traveller, Canada Country Travel Advice, and the United Kingdom Foreign Travel Advice.
U-M is the No. 4 all-time producer of Peace Corps volunteers since it was founded in 1961
U-M ranked 6th in the nation in the number of students studying abroad for the year 2015-2016.Institute of International Education