Group leaders (faculty, staff or graduate students) leading students abroad to any destination for study, research, or other reasons must have their plans reviewed and approved in advance by the Dean or designated administrator of each academic or business unit in which the program is based. International Travel Policy SPG 601.31
Group Leader Responsibilities
Group leaders are responsible for ensuring that:
- All trip itinerary, lodging, and overseas contact information is entered into the University Travel Registry. Locally purchased cell phones or other local contact information should be updated in the Travel Registry once available.
- All students have obtained Travel Abroad Health Insurance through the University’s authorized vendor.
- Verification of the University Travel Registry registration and travel abroad health insurance purchase has been provided to the Dean or designated administrator of each of the schools or colleges in which the students are enrolled.
- University guidance is followed, including travel to destinations under a University Travel Warnings or University Travel Restriction (PDF).
- Best practices for health, safety and security planning for pre-departure orientation, during the trip and post-trip review are followed.
Students who plan additional travel before and/or after the official group travel dates should coordinate with the group leader or program administrator to ensure their additional travel information is registered and that they have University Travel Abroad Health Insurance for their complete travel dates.
Destinations under a University Travel Warning (PDF)
Faculty and staff leading groups that include students must:
- Complete the Group Travel Abroad Request (.docx)
- Complete the Safety Plan for Group Travel (.docx)
- Inform the Dean or Designated Administrator that the proposed location is under a University Travel Warning and consult with them about the purpose of the proposed travel.
- If approved, submit following to the International Travel Oversight Committee (ITOC) at firstname.lastname@example.org review and approval related to the identified health and safety risks:
Please submit the requested materials to ITOC at least eight (8) weeks prior to departure. ITOC will review the materials and may contact the Group Leader(s) with additional questions regarding health and safety aspects of the proposed travel. ITOC reviews submissions on a rolling basis. Questions about the process may be directed to email@example.com or call 734-763-0395.
If approved by ITOC, the group leader or designated program administrator must ensure all participants:
- Are registered in the University Travel Registry.
- Obtain University Travel Abroad Health Insurance.
- Provide the program administrator with a signed Assumption of Risk and Waiver of Liability and Financial Obligation (PDF) for each participant.
Travel authorization may be revoked if these steps are not completed before departure.
Note: Graduate students may not lead student trips to destinations under a University Travel Warning or University Travel Restriction.