Martin Philbert, dean of the School of Public Health, and Matthew Boulton, associated dean of Global Public Health, in Delhi, India.

It’s important to follow U-M business, financial and legal policies while abroad. This page provides general information about procurement, aid and managing finances. There is guidance about tax requirements, wire transfers, foreign bank accounts and credit cards. Other issues covered include vehicle use, rules regarding accepting gifts and travel to U.S.-sanctioned governments.

Business and Financial Information for Travel Abroad

UM Funds in Foreign Countries

Various inventory and/or payment methods while in a foreign country.

▪       MasterCard is the default version of the PCard. See next point on Visa P-card.

▪       ATM cash withdrawal function is turned on for foreign travel upon request.

▪       Concur provides exchange rates by date.

▪       Alternative to the MasterCard P-Card in countries that accept Visa but not MasterCard.

▪       Traveler that has is or is eligible for a P-Card must determine the need and request a Visa P-Card from Procurement Services before leaving on the trip.

Research Abroad

Financial information for conducting research in foreign countries.

Legal Issues

Information about getting contracts, agreements, and amendments approved as well as sharing computer software and hardware.


  • Vehicle use (Risk Management Office): When overseas and renting a vehicle on U-M business, please purchase the standard insurance from the rental car company in that country so that you can meet at least the minimum limits of insurance required in that country. In the event of an accident, you will need to follow the instructions from the rental car company.
  • Rules about accepting or giving gifts
  • Travel to U.S. sanctioned countries
  • Translation Services: Contact the embassy in country traveling to for recommendation of a translator.